240 unit mixed-use development
Located in the centre of Harlow new town, the Terminus development is the largest and most prominent building in the centre and incorporates the main bus terminus, municipal offices and town centre parking. The brutalist building, originally conceived by celebrated post-war architect Frederick Gibberd (1908-1984) provided a focal point at the end of a long axis that runs from one end of the shopping to centre to the other.
Our client wanted to a create a development that made practical use of the existing structure whilst re-introducing residential properties into the centre. The proposed 240 unit scheme included refurbishment, adaptation and extension of the existing building. A number of options were prepared for pre-app purposes that explored the use of the upper car parking deck a communal garden, with access to shared leisure facilities (including a café, gym and tennis courts). Retail units at ground floor and the use of a green wall system were introduced to soften the edges of the building.
Client: P4i Ltd/Caridon Developments Ltd
Architecture: Smith Maloney Architects Ltd
Planning consultants: JLL (London)